Monday, March 9, 2009

Fifteen years ago...

Fifteen years ago I became a fan of John Candy. In early 1994 I bought 'The Great Outdoors' on video and on April 8, 1994 I bought 'Once Upon A Crime'. I liked the movies but I even more liked the guy who played Chet Ripley and Augie Morosco! So in the next two months I bought more of his films like 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles', 'Summer Rental' and 'Delirious'. There was something about him. He had a warmth that I also found with the famous comedy duo Laurel & Hardy.

I hadn't heard about John's passing and when the owner of the videoshop told me he had heard something of the kind I wouldn't believe it. "He's mistaken with someone else, with an older actor", I thought. Now I know, that this is what I wanted to believe. But in September of the same year, I was finally confrontated with the fact that John really was no longer amongst us. In 'Blotto's Bulletin', a Dutch Laurel & Hardy newspaper, I read that in the new 'Our Gang' film the role of Spanky's father would've been played by John Candy who passed away suddenly and therefore the role was cut from the scenario. I felt very upset. In fact, I felt upset for weeks.

Today it is fifteen years ago that John's funeral service took place at St. Martin of Tours Church in Los Angeles. And today I'm making this blog as a tribute to him, to the man who is still loved by so many people of all ages and from all over the world. John, thanks for all the laughter.

4 comments:

  1. This blog is wonderful. It's such a great place to truly appreciate the late comic genius that is John Candy.

    And I know how you feel, i felt the same way when John died.

    I've got all of his films on dvd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for your kind words. I hope to expand this blog even more in 2010! You sure stimulate me with your posts! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for doing this. John was wonderful. I wish he was still making films.

    ReplyDelete